Lilac & Clover Designer Pinwheel Patchwork Quilt Pattern
At 36″ square, Lilac and Clover is an extraordinary Designer Pinwheel patchwork quilt pattern based on four-fold rotation of a tessellated right triangle. Hand-dyed fabrics, 3-D embellishments, and broken symmetry make it unusually expressive of the underlying graceful design composition.
The pattern is for the complete quilt, with one tessellated triangle emphasized. Trace the complete pattern onto the sticky side of fusible interfacing and handle the pattern as you would freezer paper, but without removing the interfacing after piecing. Cut and piece the pattern’s patches four times to complete the quilt top. Add seam allowances to all patches.
Wide gray lines in the pattern can be bias tape or bound-edge piecing as was applied in the original quilt. Dashed lines on the pattern indicate suggested quilting lines in addition to stitch-in-the-ditch used to define each patch in the quilt. Find some special embellishments to conceal an awkward intersection and enhance the central focal point.
Supplies needed to make this quilt top:
• Optional embellishments such as bias tape, metallic or other cording, a button or other accessory for the center
• Decorative threads as desired
• Neutral color piecing thread
• Selection of fabrics, 1/2 yard to 1 yard, 44-45″ wide, or otherwise
• 2 yards of fusible (iron-on) interfacing (Pellon 911 or Vilene H250) to make the pattern
• Double-needle (optional for applying bias tape)
Special Note: Use Adobe Acrobat Reader to print, set to Poster at 100%.